Saturday, April 26, 2008

Self-Transcendence Six and Ten Day Race 2008 - April 23 to May 3

Those of you who know me know I am fascinated with Multiday racing, especially the 6 day event. I love the history of the 6 day race: New York Times Article posted Dec. 2 1888 covering George Littlewood's World Record Performance; and more recent events: Yiannis Kouros running 643 miles in 6 days on 3 hours of sleep in 2005. If you also love the history of this sport, This Article is another must-read.

But back to why I am posting this.... In spite of my love of the 6 day, I am not competing this coming week. Some have asked me why, and I have to say it is that although I love the 6 day, I really want to be focusing on the 24hr race to improve at that distance, but I do plan to compete in a 6 day every-other year, so you can expect me back next year; this year I have to be content to sit on the sidelines.

I was originally worried about the turnout at this year's event because of Sri Chinmoy's death this past year; he was a spiritual guide for the majority of the runners, and the race was put together by his organization, however there is a large gathering of runners back in New York right now to run, including some remarkable runners......

All Bios of the runners can be read at http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/us/ultras/6-10-day-race/6-10-day-race-2008/runners_bios, and believe me..... they are worth reading.

The array of runners includes some World Record holders, several National Record holders, and just some downright crazy people.... now you've got me feeling sentimental....

The 10 day race began Wednesday April 23rd at Noon EST, and the 6 day race is scheduled to join them Sunday April 27th also at Noon EST. Both Races will Conclude May 3rd at Noon, and you can expect updates from me throughout the race.... I may be across the country, but I am watching the website like a hawk, and have even spent some time on the phone with some of the racers.

Anyway.... Check out the Following links to learn more...

Race Home Page

Daily Results

Photo Gallery

No comments: