Thursday, April 17, 2008

Andy Carson 40 mile Fun Run (+10)

When I heard a couple months ago that local television personality and weatherman, Andy Carson, was going to celebrate his 40th birthday by running 40 miles, I was excited to sign up. The fact that they were putting the run on as a benefit for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society made it all the better.

So on Wednesday, April 16th, Steve and I got down to the Portland waterfront at about 7:30am to pick up our packets and get ready to run. We got to talk to Andy for a little while before the start, and during the 7 1/2 hour long day, we got to talk to him quite a bit more.


Steve, Andy, and I before the start.

We couldnt have asked for a better day; it was high 40s low 50s all day, overcast, and fairly dry. Andy being a Weatherman, I give him the credit for the awesome day. Of the group of us who started the day with Andy, 7 of us completed the entire 40mi with him. Other people were coming and going all the while showing their support. We finished faster than Andy had originally projected, 7:23:14! Not too shabby, but he said he didn't catch the ultrarunning bug..... famous last words.....


Andy with the 40 milers (save 1)


Dave and Paula Harkin of Portland Running Company and RunWithPaula.com who really put this whole thing together.

On the Air.....

For clips from throughout the day, follow the links below.....

Pre-Run Video

Run Start Video

Post-Run Video

Steve and I wanted to finish the day with 50mi, so we joined up with the Wednesday group run and then I put in another 1.5 miles to finish off the great day with exactly 50mi. it was a lot of fun, and I hope Andy decides that this pain is fun (ha ha), and I hope to see him at some future ultras.

Heal Quick Andy!

Tim Lawson

1 comment:

Steve Walters said...

Doubt we'll see him at any ultras. But I'm sure he'll do more marathons. It was fun!!